The Hero5 Black comes with these items: a rechargeable battery, the frame for Hero5 Black, a mounting buckle attached to the frame, curved and flat adhesive mounts, and a USBC charging cable. You’ll also need a microSD card, which is sold separately. For a list of recommended cards visit the GoPro website
Are you wondering where the housing is? Hero 5 Black is waterproof to 33 feet right out of the box; no housing is needed, and no housing means less stuff for you to carry.
Let’s check out the camera. Hero5 Black has two buttons that you use to operate the camera, the shutter button, and the mode button. To help you see if you’re recording, there are three status lights on the camera: there’s one on the front, one on the back, and another on the bottom so that you can see at least one of them from any angle.
On the back, you’ll see the large touch display, where you can preview your shots, easily change modes and settings, and immediately playback your videos and photos. To learn more about using the touch display be sure to take a camera tour the first time you power on the camera.
On the side of the camera that’s closest to the lens, there’s a side door. Hold down the latch release button and slide the door open; you’ll see a USBC port for charging and an HDMI port in case you want to connect your camera to an HDTV and watch your content on a big screen. To use the HDMI port, you’ll need a micro HDMI cable, which is sold separately.
On the bottom of the camera you’ll see another door. Open it the same way you open the side door, just press the button while sliding the door open. Insert the batteries and then push an SD card into the slot. Close the door and slide it until it clicks into place. Be sure it’s securely closed. If either door is not closed all the way your camera is not waterproof.
Your Hero5 Black comes with a partially charged battery, but it’s a good idea to fully charge it to get the most out of your first use. Open the side door by pressing down on the button while sliding the door downward, use the included USBC cable to connect your camera to a computer or other USB power adapter. The cameras slider light on the bottom of the camera turns on during charging and turns off when charging is complete.
To ensure that you always have the latest features and settings at your fingertips be sure your Hero 5 Black is running the most current software. Luckily you don’t have to do anything special to find out about software updates when you connect to the capture app for mobile or the quick app for desktop you will automatically be notified if an update is available.
When using your Hero5 black camera keep these tips in mind:
- Keep the lens clean and watch out for fingerprints especially when you’re moving the camera in and out of the frame.
- If you’re using your camera around water be sure to wipe off the lens, so your shots aren’t affected by water drops.
- if the touch display gets wet just brush off the water with your hands and use it like you normally would.
- Before opening either door be sure the camera is clean and dry.
- Close the doors completely, especially if you’ll be using the camera around water.
- Whenever you use the camera in sand, dirt, or salt water, always rinse it with fresh water afterward.
- Stunning 4K video and 12MP photos in Single, Burst and Time Lapse modes.
- Durable by design, HERO5 Black is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
- Additional GoPro HERO5 Black Features + Benefits below on item page.
- Preview and playback your shots, change settings and trim your footage, all on your GoPro.