In this article, we’re going to be checking out the best humidifiers you can buy in 2020. We compiled this review list based on our personal opinion and hours of research and listed them based on size, cooler warm, mist features, and price. We’ve included options for every type of consumer, so whether you’re looking for a small humidifier for your bedroom or a more versatile model for larger spaces, we’ll have the product for you. If you’re wondering what kind of humidifier is best for a baby, check out our recommendations.
For more information and updated pricing on the products mentioned, be sure to check the links in the description below.
Vaporizer vs. Humidifier
You might be wondering what’s the difference between a humidifier and a vaporizer, how do they work, and what cool and warm mists are.
It’s quite simple to explain. While both the humidifier and the vaporizer add humidity to the air, helping to ease cold and cough congestion, the main difference is the way they introduce this moisture into the air.
Cool mist humidifiers can either use ultrasonic vibrations or a submerged disk that rapidly turns. They break up the water into tiny particles that are sent into the air so you can breathe them.
Warm mist humidifiers, evaporative humidifiers, or steam vaporizers use a heated element to boil the water and turn it into steam. The steam is cooled down before leaving the device, and you can then breathe it. They are more hygienic since the water is boiled before it comes out of the machine, which kills bacteria and viruses. However, they can present a risk when using them unattended near pets or children due to the risk of accidental burns.
PureSteam Cool Mist Humidifier
The fifth product on our list is the PurSteam cool mist humidifier. This is our best budget humidifier.
If you find your bedroom is too dry as you sleep at night, PurSteam cool mist humidifier is a whisper-quiet humidifier, making it ideal for your bedroom, baby, or child’s room. It safely and quietly moisturizes the air so that you can get a night of peaceful and uninterrupted sleep.
The PurSteam holds over two liters, so it can run for about 20 hours without having to refill it. This means that you can sleep through the night without worrying if your humidifier will run out. There are 11 variable mist settings that you can quickly change by conveniently turning the dial. You can also adjust the mist direction and speed for a perfect comfort level.
You’ll find the built-in nightlight adds a relaxing ambiance to any room. The nightlight also provides enough light for you to make adjustments to the humidifier during the night without having to turn on any other lights.
Although there is no essential oil tray, you can simply add the oil to the water. The PurSteam will diffuse the oil just fine and spray cooling mist into the air. If you find yourself tossing and turning at night, add a little chamomile for a restful night of sleep.
When the humidifier needs more water, you’ll see a low water indicator light turn on. You won’t have to worry about overheating or other safety concerns if you’re not at home since the humidifier will automatically shut off when the water level gets too low.
With a moisture output of 350 milliliters per hour, the PurSteam cool mist humidifier can make any room more comfortable in minutes.
- Auto shutoff – a nice safety feature when the water level gets too low
- Nightlight – there’s a cute optional nightlight that gives a subtle ambient glow
- Control dial – you can adjust mist level direction and speed for your perfect comfort level the
- Easy to clean – it’s straightforward to detach and clean
- Quiet – Its quiet whisper operation is ideal for bedrooms
- Large tank – it holds just over 2 liters, for about 20 hours of continuous operation
- No essential oil tray – The PurSteam will diffuse the oil just fine when dropped in the water.
The PurSteam cool mist humidifier is one of the best affordable humidifiers available, and it will put an end to the dry air in your home so you can get a peaceful night of sleep.
Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier
If you prefer a humidifier that sprays a gentle warm mist rather than a cool mist, then you’ll love the Vicks warm mist humidifier.
There’s nothing worse than trying to get a good night’s sleep when you have a cold or allergies, especially for young children. Vicks warm mist humidifier produces gentle and warm medicated vapors to help with congestion relief.
You may have warm fuzzy memories of using Vicks VapoRub on your chest to ease congestion and coughs; now you can get that warm fuzzy feeling back without the fuss with the Vicks warm mist humidifier. The large 1-gallon tank can run up to 24 hours, so you won’t have to fill it up as often. If the water level gets too low, you can take comfort knowing that the humidifier will shut off automatically.
The humidifier also has a sweet, soft glow light, which doubles nicely as a nightlight for your child’s room. The Vicks warm mist humidifier diffuses 95% bacteria-free mist and covers up to 400 square feet. It’s also simple to use and just as simple to clean; you can even put the water tank in your dishwasher.
For those nights when your children feel congested, you can add some Vick’s Vaposteam or use Vicks Vapor Pads in the medicine cup. It will increase the action of the steam to moisten the dry air, giving them relief from coughing and congestion. The humidifier is very quiet, so that it won’t disturb your sleep.
- Warm mist – provides warm, comforting cloud for congestion relief and helps with dry skin and chapped lips
- Auto shutoff – a nice safety feature when the water level gets too low
- Quiet – it runs very quietly, and it won’t disturb your sleep
- Medicated vapors can be used
- Handle – makes it easy to transport
- Easy cleaning – it’s dishwasher safe
- Limited settings – The only setting options are high or low
The Vicks warm mist humidifier isn’t just for coughs and colds; in the dry winter months, it’s also great. All year round the comforting warm mist will even help with dry skin and chapped lips. The warm mist is gentle enough for your little ones.
Crane Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifiers for Kids
This is our best humidifier for a baby. Meet violet the hippo: she’s 9 inches tall, can run up to 24 hours on a full tank, and is very, very quiet and looking for a playmate.
Kids will love the Crane ultrasonic cool mist humidifier because they’re incredibly adorable, and you’ll be relieved by knowing that it helps alleviate your child’s discomfort of cough, cold, and flu symptoms.
The one-gallon tank will conveniently fit under most bathroom sinks for secure storage and the humidifier can run up to 24 hours and covers up to 500 square feet. The clean control features antimicrobial material that reduces mold and bacteria growth by up to 99.6%.
There are no additional filters required, and for safety, the humidifier will auto shut off when the tank is empty. There’s no heating element on the ultrasonic cool mist humidifier, and it’s one of the safest humidifiers for newborns and young children. The ultrasonic vibrations produce fine mist particles that are cool to the touch.
- Clean control – reduces mold and bacterial growth
- Auto shutoff – the humidifier will shut off on its own when it detects the water level is too low; it’s a comforting feature knowing it’s in your children’s room.
- Quiet – it’s whisper quiet and won’t disturb children’s sleep
- Big tank – the one-gallon tank lets the humidifier run up to 24 hours
- Ultrasonic vibrations – ultrasonic vibrations produce finer mist particles than regular humidifiers
- Cleanup – as with most cool-mist humidifiers, you will need to regularly clean it to avoid any mold or bacteria.
Since newborns breathe through their nose for the first four to six months, Violet the hippo can help your newborn breathe easier by clearing up any congestion for a better night’s rest.
If you’re not a fan of hippos, there is a large variety of cute characters you can choose from: bumblebee, cow, duck, elephant, fox, frog, Hello Kitty, ladybug, martian, monkey, owl, penguin, pig, polar bear, sheep, train, and unicorn.
Honeywell HCM350W Germ-Free Cool Mist Humidifier
This is our best overall humidifier. If you find dry air unpleasant and dislike how it can exacerbate sleeping problems, heighten the symptoms of a common cold, cause allergy flare-ups, and even damage furniture and wilt plants, then the Honeywell UV cool moisture germ-free humidifier can put an end to all that unpleasantness. Not many people know that low humidity in the air causes wood to lose moisture and shrink, which can cause cracking and warping.
Most humidifiers have only one nozzle that releases a visible stream of mist into the air, but you’ll notice that this the cool moisture humidifier has a built-in fan that circulates the fresh air. There’s also a wicking filter that quickly evaporates the mist once it’s released into the air.
The Honeywell UV cool moisture germ-free humidifier uses built-in technology that will sanitize tap water and kill 99.9% of bacteria in the process, making the almost air germ-free. The enclosed 1.1-gallon water tank design is a bit on the more significant and heavier side compared to other models, so it’s probably better and safer to place the Honeywell on the floor instead of any shelving units or table. The large tank will last up to 24 hours of continuous use before needing a refill
This Honeywell humidifier is quite simple to use; the dial toggles between low, medium, and high settings. Due to the built-in fan, you’ll notice a buzzing noise; it’s not very loud and in fact, can even be a bit soothing, like background white noise.
Cleaning the humidifier is quite straightforward: the water tank and tray are both dishwasher safe. For maintenance, you’ll occasionally have to change the filter; once a year should be okay in most cases with normal use.
- Fan – it has a built-in fan that circulates the air well
- Evaporation system – it has a self-regulated evaporative system
- Sanitizes tap water – integrated patented Ultra-Violet light technology will kill up to 99.9% of bacteria, mold, fungus, and viruses in the unit’s water.
- Fast – it cools and moistens the room quickly
- Large tank – 1.1-gallon tank
- It’s a bit obtrusive and looks a little like a toaster, taking up a bit more space compared to other humidifiers
- Noise – the built-in fan emits a buzzing
The Honeywell UV cool moisture germ-free humidifier may come down to aesthetics versus performance. If you want to alleviate the unpleasantness of dry air, then this Honeywell is one of your best choices, as long as you don’t mind the rather large footprint.
LEVOIT LV600HH Humidifier for Large Room Bedroom
When the dry season hits, you may need a humidifier that has a little more power for a larger sized room, such as a living room or family room. The LEVOIT lv600HH includes the best options for larger spaces.
LEVOIT lv600HH is one of the most potent humidifiers available, specially designed for large rooms and even whole homes. It features a built-in humidistat and it’s surprisingly very accurate, so there’s no worry of returning one day to find water dripping off your ceiling.
This is a hybrid humidifier, so you’re getting two in one. Use the cooling mist to combat stuffy air and keep your skin moisturized in the summer heat, and enjoy the warm mist to create a cozy environment to get rid of cold symptoms when winter arrives.
With an excellent big opening on the tank, it’s relatively easy to clean, but there are many nooks and crannies in the design where mold can hide and will require a more thorough maintenance cleaning once in a while. It can hold up to 1.5 gallons and provide 36 hours of continuous use with the low-mist setting.
You’ll find the LED screen helpful; it’ll let you easily adjust the mist settings -either warm or cool- set your desired humidity, and set an auto-off timer. Using the touchscreen display is reasonably intuitive. The remote control is a nice touch, allowing you to turn the machine on or off from the comfort of your bed or couch or set a timer so you won’t have to worry about accidentally leaving the humidifier on.
- Powerful – With a mist output of up to 500 mL/hr, the LV600HH can easily handle spaces as large as 753 ft2 / 70 m2
- Essential Oil Diffuser – Add your favorite essential oil to the aroma box to give the room a clean, pure, and fresh-smelling aroma.
- Humidistat – The built-in sensor gauges humidity levels and instantly takes care of adjustments for you.
- Perfect for large rooms
- Ultra-Quiet Operation – sleeping through the night will be no problem even when the humidifier is on.
- Can be used for cooling and warm mist
- Maintenance – the deep cleaning is a bit time consuming and requires some effort
If you need a high-end humidifier for large spaces, the LEVOIT lv600HH provides superior performance with a built-in humidistat and enough power to bring comfort to your whole home.